Are you thinking of buying a new dishwasher? Maybe to replace the one you currently have, or because you realized how useful such an appliance can be? The latest generation models allow you to save more water than hand washing, and leave us more time available to devote ourselves to other daily activities.
Nowadays, being able to count on a kitchen equipped with a dishwasher is no longer a luxury as in the past. Technology is making great strides in every field, including that of household appliances, which are increasingly cutting-edge and affordable for consumers. In this guide we will show you the main features of dishwashers and the best offers on the market.
Despite popular myths and beliefs, dishwashers help save water and energy. In fact, according to a study that we will resume later in the article, you can save up to 30 liters of water compared to washing by hand.
The advantages of these appliances are obvious. As anticipated, they skimp on the use of water and save precious time. There is no risk of cuts or minor injuries to the hands and from a hygienic point of view they are the best solution.
Before choosing the model that best suits your needs, you need to take into account a number of criteria. Take the necessary measures, check energy savings, evaluate where to place the dishwasher in the house, and above all only contact well-established brands in the sector.
The best dishwashers on the market: our selection
In large families there is always a dispute when it comes to deciding who washes the dishes; having a dishwasher will avoid arguments and save time and effort for all tenants. To choose the most suitable among the various options, we have made a careful selection that includes the best models on the market: if the topic interests you, pay attention to the following!
- The best-selling mini dishwasher: Candy CDCP 6 / ES
- The best 12 place dishwasher: Bosch Serie 2 SMV40D70EU
- The best free-standing dishwasher: Beko DFN05311S
- The quietest mini dishwasher: Klarstein Amazonia 6
- The best mini dishwasher for value for money: Klarstein Amazonia 6 Secret
The best-selling mini dishwasher: Candy CDCP 6 / ES
Compact, small (43.5 x 55 x 50 cm) silver-colored table dishwasher, can hold up to six services. The sound power does not exceed 51 decibels, energy efficiency class A +. Equipped with six washing programs, LED display and delayed start function.
Users appreciated the ease of assembly and installation of the appliance. Many were pleasantly surprised by the silence and efficiency, considering it very functional for couples and singles. Appreciate the loading instructions: they optimize the dishwasher’s capacity despite its small size.
The best 12 place dishwasher: Bosch Serie 2 SMV40D70EU
Easy-to-install 12-place built-in dishwasher with energy efficiency class A +. Equipped with four programs and red LED light that indicates when it is in operation. Equipped with cutting-edge and latest generation technological functions. Its dimensions are 55 x 59.8 x 87.5 cm (the height is adjustable).
Buyers have positively assessed the price-quality ratio of the appliance, highlighting however a fair noise of the apparatus in operation. Appreciated the adjustable height, from 81.5 cm to 87.5 cm, functional for installation in the kitchen. The simplicity of assembly and the clarity of the instructions are noteworthy.
The best free-standing dishwasher: Beko DFN05311S
The Beko DFN05311S is a free-standing dishwasher with 13 place settings, characterized by an excellent quality-price ratio. It is a product of energy class A +, with an average consumption per cycle of 11.5 L of water and 1.03 kWh of electricity.
The noise is quite low, at least on the basis of the average of this kind of appliances, as also confirmed by the buyers. It is also equipped with a drying function, and if necessary it can also be recessed, easily removing the top shelf.
The quietest mini dishwasher: Klarstein Amazonia 6
Compact tabletop dishwasher, multifunctional space-saving model and self-supporting structure that also allows for recessed insertion. Equipped with an intuitive control panel consisting of three buttons and symbols relating to the washing programs. Energy efficiency class A +, functional design and low noise emission.
Those who bought it especially like the functionality and adaptability of the appliance, given its small size. Many have positively noted the practicality of the washing programs and instructions, several recommend it for couples or singles. It is excellent for those who have few covers to wash daily. Aesthetically pleasing.
The best mini dishwasher for value for money: Klarstein Amazonia 6 Secret
Powerful but economical dishwasher (energy efficiency class A +), small in size and able to accommodate up to six place settings. It uses practical self-explanatory icons to select the washing programs, while the LED display shows the time remaining for the end of the cycle. Equipped with Aquastop technology.
Users were pleasantly surprised by the capacity, despite the small size of the appliance. Very simple to assemble the loading and unloading pipe. Practical assembly instructions and the device can be easily inserted into the space provided. To underline the absolute silence and the reduced consumption of water and energy. Many consider it a great deal.
A common problem encountered by many households is the lack of space. If your kitchen is small, probably the most suitable dishwasher will be narrow and compact, while those with a large space can focus on independent models. In this section we will answer the most common questions and doubts of potential buyers, to provide you with a clear and complete picture of the product.
What is a dishwasher and what advantages does it offer?
- Saving water . According to some recent studies, up to 30 liters of water per day can be saved compared to washing by hand.
- Energy saving . It saves about 10 percent of energy, according to researchers from the University of Bonn in Germany.
- Time savings . Time that, as we said in the introduction, you can devote to other activities. Some models can even be preset to activate at the time we want. If the dishwasher is silent we can program it for a night wash, saving further energy.
- Safe crockery . It’s just a myth to think that the washing machine can break our glassware pieces. Of course, you will have to use specific products and set the right programs to avoid any nasty surprises, but don’t worry: the cutting-edge and quality models will be able to take better care of your plates and glasses.
- Greater hygiene . It definitely cleans more effectively than manual washing. Sponges and rags get dirty and retain germs, while washing machines eliminate bacteria and microorganisms through powerful detergents.
- Protected hands : Subjecting our hands to high temperatures and chemical detergents is certainly not a cure-all for the skin, when you have a dishwasher you won’t have to think about it anymore.
- Convenience . You will not be forced to wash the dishes immediately after meals and you will not risk piling up dirty plates, glasses and trays around the kitchen. Once the dishes are clean, just put them back in the cupboard.
What types of dishwashers are on the market?
- Freestanding: Also known as “standard”, they can be placed anywhere in the house, but must be able to connect to a water source and drain. They can hold up to 14 full place settings, they are usually white and made of stainless steel.
- Built-in: easily integrated with the kitchen furniture, they are installed in empty spaces, for example under a piece of furniture or inside a special compartment, they do not clutter and go totally unnoticed. They are usually more expensive than freestanding models.
What kind of maintenance does a dishwasher need?
- Check the levels of salt, rinse aid and detergent . Before starting the dishwasher, make sure you have properly dosed these products. Don’t forget anyone, especially if you live in areas where the water is not very pure.
- Put the dirtiest dishes on the lower shelf . Thus the spray of water will hit the dirty dishes with maximum power. However, if in the instructions you find specific indications regarding the placement of the different dishes, go further and leave this suggestion alone.
- Spray arm (or spray arms) free from obstacles . Check that there is no impediment to the trajectory of the arm.
- Place plates, cutlery, and plastic cups on the top shelf . In this way they will not risk being deformed.
- Dose the detergent properly . It is a fundamental aspect, you must follow the specific instructions of the product. Too high a dose does not make the dishes cleaner, it is just a waste of soap, while a low dose will not be enough to clean properly.
- Cutlery at the bottom, knives aside . Never put stainless steel dishes next to silverware, they must be stored in different groupings. It is also better to remove trays and silver cutlery before the drying phase.
- Do not overfill the dishwasher . If you do this repeatedly, you risk breaking the spray arm.
- Clean up food remnants . And do it before putting away the dishes and setting the washing program, you will avoid that the leftovers can get stuck in the drain pipe.
- Keep an eye on the filter . At least two or three times a month, if you use the washing machine often, remove the filter by unscrewing it anticlockwise and remove any residues. Then rinse it well and put it back.
- Periodic cleaning . Use a specific product to thoroughly clean the entire system, do it at least once in a while.
How does a dishwasher work?
- Water collection . The first phase of the washing cycle consists in filling a small water deposit located in the lower part, near the spray arm.
- Heating . Except for the pre-wash phase, the dishwasher uses hot water, made such by an electric heater placed inside the deposit.
- Detergent . After heating the water, the detergent is added, the amount of which depends on the selected program.
- Washing . The water is expelled through the spray arm (some models have two). Thanks to the pressure of the pump, this whirls around and expels the water spreading it evenly.
- Drainage . Once the dishes have been washed, the appliance drains the dirty water through the drain channel.
- Rinsing . Phase in which the process is repeated in full but without the use of the detergent. The water is generally no longer heated, but it depends on the type of dishwasher.
- Discharge . Excess water is drained from the appliance.
- Rinse aid . If you want to clean your pieces of glassware effectively and without any scratches, you will need to add rinse aid in its dedicated compartment.