A manual or electric knife sharpener is an indispensable tool in virtually any home. With it you can restore, sharpen and enjoy a perfect blade on your knives, be it cutting ham, fruit or onions. Additionally, a good knife sharpener can also be used to sharpen razors or scissors, among other items.
Although it is such a simple tool in appearance, you cannot make a blind purchase. And it is to clarify your ideas in this regard that we have created this guide on the knife sharpener. We will tell you everything you need to know about it, as well as the key aspects you need to take into consideration when you finally decide to buy one to equip your kitchen. Let’s begin!
- Manual knife sharpeners offer more personal and variable results, but require some experience from the user.
- Don’t abuse the knife sharpener. It’s a sensational tool, but sharpening your knife too much will shorten its useful life.
- A key purchase criterion is that of slots. The more it has, the more finishes you can give the blades. We analyze this factor and others in the final section of our article.
The best knife sharpeners on the market: our selection
You don’t have to be a professional cook to be aware of how essential a knife sharpener can be. There is nothing more annoying than going for a knife and seeing that it doesn’t cut as it should because it isn’t flush. With a good sharpener this will never happen to you again. Below we have listed the best options currently on the market, check them out!
- The most convenient knife sharpener
- The knife sharpener also suitable for scissors
- The most successful electric knife sharpener
- The best whetstone for manual sharpening
The most convenient knife sharpener
The Lambony Sharp is an inexpensive but functional sharpener, which is sold with a set of spare blades to greatly increase the longevity of the tool. It offers 3 different abrasive sections for sharpening and polishing kitchen knives. It should be used with smooth and non-serrated metal knives. Using it is very simple and has great reviews.
The knife sharpener also suitable for scissors
MENNYO’s 4-in-1 knife sharpener is rapidly climbing the sales rankings, thanks to the excellent quality-price ratio that characterizes it as well as to the good response from users. It has a sturdy handle and 3 pairs of abrasive blades for sharpening and polishing kitchen knives, plus a set of blades for sharpening scissors. It can also be used with wide serrated knives such as bread knives.
The most successful electric knife sharpener
Chefs who prefer to sharpen their knives with minimal effort will find a valid ally in the EC120, as it is an electric knife sharpener equipped with 3 sets of different abrasive discs, suitable for sharpening and polishing all types of blades, including toothed. It is powered by the 230 V domestic electrical network.
The best whetstone for manual sharpening
For those who continue to prefer manual sharpening on whetstone, that of KUNQUN has two faces with different grain: a larger 400 for older knives, and another from 1000, finer and suitable for sharpening the blade of gods. most common knives. Also included is a non-slip black silicone base and plastic cutting guide. There are also different versions available, with grit suitable for sharpening and polishing the blade.
Everything you need to know about sharpener
When we talk about the best knife sharpener, we refer to that tool that allows us to keep the edge of the knives, as well as the other cutting elements we have at home. But is it simple to use? And is a manual or electric model better? In this section we will try to answer all your questions about this useful ally in the kitchen.
How does a knife sharpener work?
- Consider that the knives need to be clean. Before sharpening them, wash them with hot water and a sponge. Immediately after, dry them well with a cloth.
- Once the knife you want to sharpen is dry, place it at an angle between 10 and 20 degrees above the crack. In case your chosen model includes instructions, follow them!
- Keep in mind that, with the manual knife sharpener, you need to make a back and forth motion. In the case of an electric knife sharpener all you have to do is hold the knife over the slot and the tool will do the rest.
- Use the different slots available in the model to properly repair, clean, polish or sharpen the knife. Remember that not all options on the market offer the same number of slots or slots.
Why is it important to maintain the edge of the blades with the knife sharpener?
- Easier to Cut – If the knife is sharpened well it will allow you to cut faster and easier.
- Less risk of accidents – It may seem paradoxical, but by not having to exert too much pressure while making the cut, the chances of the knife escaping are reduced.
- Greater efficiency – By spending less time cutting, you can prepare dishes much faster. In addition, thanks to the cut that the well-sharpened knives allow you, you will always get the finish you really want.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of knife sharpeners?
How do you know when the knife sharpener should be used?
- Knife and paper. To do this, you need to use a piece of paper. Hold it at an angle in the air and try to cut it up and down with the knife. If you can, it means it is well sharpened.
- Knife and tomato. Popular culture proves not to be wrong this time around. To find out if a knife needs a sharpener or not, try cutting a tomato on it. If you don’t need to make an incision first, it means the blade has a good edge.
How many types of knives are there?
- Tabletop. Manual or electric. They generally incorporate a non-slip base for added stability. They must be placed on a flat surface. They are usually the cheapest models.
- With handle. We have already collected one of the best sharpeners with a handle on our list. Logically, it is convenient because it is supported with one hand and, with the other, you pass the blade of the knife through the area of the sharpener you want to use.
- With various slots or slots. These types of knife sharpeners are distinguished by their versatility. Each groove has a specific activity material. In this way, not only can you sharpen, but you can also clean, repair or even polish the cutting tool.
Is a manual or electric sharpener better?
- Manual knife sharpener : these are the traditional knife sharpeners. Not having an engine, they are quieter. In addition, they offer high levels of efficiency and more customizable use. Although they are cheaper, they do require some skills on the part of the user.
- Electric knife sharpener : having an electric motor that automates the sharpening process, it produces more noise. In general, they are also larger, although they have a really modern design. They offer greater security, making them ideal options for inexperienced users.
How can I delay the loss of the thread so as not to use the sharpener too frequently?
- Do not use harsh abrasive sponges to wash the knives : if you plan to wash the knives by hand, use a sponge, a damp cloth or the soft area of the scouring pad. Otherwise, the cutting edge will wear out quickly.
- Do not wash knives in the dishwasher : cleaning products used by dishwashers tend to be very aggressive, corroding the blade of the knife. It is better to opt for a hand wash or buy specific detergents in case you are forced to use the dishwasher.
- The cutting board, preferably made of wood: the other options, such as granite, marble or stone cutting boards, are very hard and can irreversibly damage the blade of the knife.
- Don’t use the knife to cut citrus fruits : remember that citrus acids, such as those from oranges or lemons, corrode the edge of the blade. Therefore, for this type of food, it is best to use a serrated knife.